Feeding wet food to cats can be highly beneficial for their health and overall well-being. Not only does it keep them hydrated, helping to stave off common urinary health problems, but it can also enhance their digestion and aid in maintaining a healthy weight.
However, as with most things, there can be a downside to wet cat food - Gums. Many different brands include various gums in their canned or packaged wet food.
Most common gums used in wet food:
- Guar gum
- Cassia gum
- Xanthan gum
- Carrageenan gum
While debates are still ongoing about the effects of these gums on our pets, some studies suggest that cats with sensitive stomachs might experience digestive problems, including diarrhea.
So, let's explore some gum-free wet cat food options:
Recommended and Considerable Options:
- ✅ Tiki After Dark Broth Series - High protein with no added gums.
- ⭕️ Ziwi - Contains chickpeas, which might not suit pets sensitive to beans.
- ✅ Kitcat Complete Cuisine Series - Similar to Tiki Cat After Dark Broths, without added gum.
- ⭕️ Instinct High Protein - Gum-free but contains Montmorillonite clay, not ideal for easily constipated cats.
- ⭕️ Farmina N&D Series - Gum-free but includes sweet potatoes.
- ✅ Orijen - No added gums.
- ✅ Feline Natural - No added gums.
- ✅ First Mate - High protein, clean ingredients, no added gums but contains a small amount of potato as a thickener.
- ⭕️ Nature’s Logic - Gum-free but contains Montmorillonite Clay.
- ⭕️ Rawz Pate Series - Contains Fenugreek seeds, a thickener, not recommended for cats allergic to soy.
- ✅ Weruva Low Phosphorus Series - Gum-free and also low in phosphorus.
It's unfortunate that the market offers limited choices without gums. But remember, the overall quality of ingredients matters more. Even though it's ideal to avoid all gums, particularly Carrageenan Gum, the best we can do is to make the healthiest choice within the available options.