Greetings, pet parents! Welcome to another informative session with J & J PET CLUB, your trustworthy online destination for top-notch pet foods and supplies. Today, we’re discussing a commonly overlooked problem in our furry friends - tear stains and various eye conditions.
So, what are tear stains? They are reddish-brown marks often noticed around pets' eyes. The discoloration comes from a compound called porphyrin. Porphyrins are iron-containing molecules produced when the body breaks down iron. These are excreted through the gastrointestinal tract, urine, saliva, and tears. All cats and dogs produce tears, but some may have a higher porphyrin content, making tear stains more noticeable, particularly in white or light-colored pets.
Why Does My Pet Have So Many Tear Stains?
Some pets may produce excessive pigmented molecules, leading to staining. The molecules left behind from red blood cell breakdown, known as porphyrins, contain iron, which appears red and darkens when exposed to sunlight. Note that even dark-furred pets can have tear stains, but they’re harder to notice.
Aside from porphyrin production, the following situations can also exacerbate tear staining in pets:
- 🐾 Glaucoma — A severe disease causing increased eye pressure and damage to the optic nerve
- 🐾 Eye Infections — Bacterial, viral, or parasitic infections can cause eye discharge
- 🐾 Conjunctivitis — Inflammation of the eye mucous membrane can lead to mucus, pus, or discharge
- 🐾 Ear Infections — May cause increased tearing on the same side of the head
- 🐾 In-grown Eyelashes — They rub the eye surface, causing irritation and damage
- 🐾 Entropion — Eyelid inversion leads to eyelashes rubbing the eye, causing irritation
- 🐾 High intake of red meat in the diet, rich in iron and other minerals
- 🐾 Poor diet, excess carbohydrates, and deficiency/excess of certain vitamins or minerals
Not to worry, help is at hand. Adam Cherry, a pet owner and optician, spent years developing PetEyez Tasty Treats, a product packed with 18 vitamins and minerals to supplement your pet's nutritional needs for eye health.
Made from natural ingredients primarily composed of antioxidants, PetEyez Tasty Treats can:
- ✅ Protect against blue light
- ✅ Maintain eye moisture
- ✅ Relieve eye fatigue
- ✅ Enhance cognitive function
- ✅ Support lens and retina health
Moreover, they can assist in treating dry eye syndrome, eye inflammation, tear stain accumulation, glaucoma, cataracts, and cherry eye, among other issues.
We recommend that pet parents regularly check their furry friends for any eye problems. J & J PET CLUB is your reliable source for all your pet's needs.