Most of us prioritize our dental hygiene, but when it comes to our canine companions, knowledge gaps and negligence can often surface. J & J PET CLUB, your go-to online pet supplies and food store, is here to help. While over 70% of people brush their teeth twice daily, only a third of pet owners recognize the same necessity for their pets.
Why is dental care essential for your dog?
In a word - Absolutely! Tartar and plaque can accumulate under your dog's gum line, creating harmful bacteria from food particles. These bacteria can damage teeth-supporting structures, cause inflammation, leading to gum disease and potentially life-threatening infections.
What makes dog dental care critical?
1. Promotes overall health: Harmful bacteria causing oral infections can infiltrate your dog's bloodstream, impacting vital organs such as the heart, liver, and kidneys. Infections can lead to organ failure, shortening your dog's life span and potentially increasing veterinary costs.
2. Ensures good breath & strong teeth: Halitosis (bad breath), a symptom of periodontal diseases, arises from tooth decay, gum disease, and oral infections. Without treatment, abscesses can form at the roots, causing loss or extraction of teeth.
3. Reduces pain: Oral diseases and infections cause discomfort for your furry friends, compromising their quality of life. Unfortunately, signs of dental problems may not be apparent, and your dog can't communicate the pain they're feeling.
With J & J PET CLUB, caring for your dog's dental hygiene is simple. Here are four easy tips to maintain a proper dental routine for your dog:
1. Regular professional cleaning: Most veterinary dentists suggest an annual professional pet dental cleaning. Certain dog breeds or dogs with specific diets may require additional visits.
2. Daily teeth brushing: Aim for daily brushing sessions for your dog, mimicking your routine. However, if your schedule is tight, a minimum of three brushings a week will suffice. Use dog-friendly toothpastes and mouth sprays to support dental health between professional cleanings.
Important notice: DO NOT USE HUMAN TOOTHPASTE FOR YOUR DOG - IT IS TOXIC!
For nervous dogs or time-strapped owners, dental dog wipes are an alternative, though not as effective as a toothbrush.
3. Appropriate diet: Alongside brushing, diet is key for dental health. Opt for dog food with wholesome, natural ingredients that encourage chewing and enhance dental health.
4. Chewing treats & toys: Dental chews and treats help eliminate plaque and tartar while offering fun and entertainment to your dog!
Remember, oral care is just as crucial for dogs as it is for us. Adhering to these simple steps will ensure your companion's good dental health and extend their happy chewing days. At J & J PET CLUB, we love dogs as much as you do and strive to provide the best care possible!